Sunday, January 24, 2010

If only It Were Easy

Portion control has never been easy for me. In fact, I would venture to say that it's not easy for most people. If it were, we would all look like the French...thin and stunningly beautiful. Ok, maybe it's not that easy, but controlling portion sizes is key to maintaining a healthy weight. I can remember the first time that I became aware of the idea. I was maybe 13 years old. Obsessed with keeping my weight under control, I switched from the sinfully decadent Girl Scout Samoas to the communion wafer-like Snackwell's cookies. Pleased with my advanced knowledge of nutrition, I sat down in front of the t.v. to eat the entire box. Not so fast -- mom, always the voice of reason, called out, "Just because they're low fat doesn't mean you can eat the whole thing in one sitting." Puzzled, I stared at the nearly empty box, "Then, what on earth is the point?" I contend, today, that if I were a person of willpower -- which I am obviously not -- it would be better to eat only one Samoa...or maybe two. But like the people at Lay's potato chips promise, "You can't eat just one." That being said, I tend to avoid the whole kit n caboodle these days.

For some less anecdotal and more helpful hints, check out 10 Little Secrets of Portion Control in Cooking Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment