Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Mindful Eating

The concepts of being mindful and appreciative of the gifts that this world has blessed us with are not new or novel. In fact, as we ride out this particularly charming period in time now being referred to as the Great Recession, folks are apt to remind you to be grateful for what you have at least once a day. So, despite the fact that it may seem redundant or overdone, I too am here to impress upon you the importance of being thankful for the little things in life that make you happy, put a smile on your face, or even simply help you live to see tomorrow.

A high school pal of my brother writes a blog called Dash of Stash. A tech guy by trade, Mike has developed a fondness for cooking, and he writes very eloquently of his kitchen adventures. Recently, he posted one definition of food appreciation, and I will admit that I wish more people shared his sentiments. It is definitely a site worth visiting.

Second, I found myself with an extraordinary number of hours on my hands during which time I had nothing better to do than surf the web - a habit that I rarely find time for. Please don't ask why I was granted such time, as I fear I might incriminate myself by sharing the answer. While killing time, I scrolled through a good number of Sheryl Julian and Devra First's contributions to the Boston Globe's blog, Dishing. One post, submitted by Devra, called attention to the story of Ed Murrieta, formerly the food critic of the Tacoma News, now living on an income that consists solely of food stamps. Murrieta, unable to find work, is living in a "rented" trailer that he pays for through work exchange. The silver lining (because why would I post a depressing story without a silver lining?) is that Murrieta enjoys the challenge of creating nourishing, palatable meals that are a pleasure to consume even when they contain items like canned "pork in juices." He says, "Mine is gastronome's quest to eat well, to maintain a nutritious diet, to satisfy my foodie cravings, and to help those who help me." Instead of lemonade from lemons, Murrieta uses the aforementioned canned atrocity to make poor man's rillete. Not bad at all.

Thanksgiving is not just for November. Take a moment each day to remember the little things that make life worth living.

No comments:

Post a Comment